Gastroenterology / Hepatology
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine where the digestive system and its disorders are studied. Diseases affecting gastrointestinal tract are the focus of this speciality. Doctors specialising in the field are called gastroenterologists.
Hepatology or hepatobiliary medicine encompasses the study of the liver, pancreas and biliary tree and is traditionally considered a subspeciality of gastroenterology.
The gastroenterology department at Mediclinic City Hospital provides services related to the diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. It features by a state-of-the-art endoscopy suite where various procedures are performed by our highly qualified gastroenterologists.
Endoscopy is a sophisticated method of investigating and treating diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. There are various kinds of endoscopes utilised for this purpose. These are flexible tubes which are equipped with computer chips giving the finest details of the inside of the gastrointestinal tract and allowing us not only to diagnose the problem but also to treat them during the endoscopy.
Some of the procedures performed include:
- Diagnostic gastroscopies
- Diagnostic colonoscopies
- Diagnostic and therapeutic ERCPs
- Injection treatment for oesophageal varices
- Dilatation of oesophageal and duodenal strictures
- Balloon dilatation for achalasia
- Insertion of oesophageal prostheses
- Injection of bleeding stomach ulcers
- Removal of colonic polyps
- Sphincterotomy to remove bile duct stones
- Insertion of biliary stents for obstructive jaundice due to biliary strictures
- Liver biopsies